Northern Business Opportunity Program - Film & Television Industry Projects
The NOHFC will be conducting three application intake rounds during the course of the year for the Northern Business Opportunity Program - Film and Television Industry Projects stream.
The three intake rounds are:
- Intake Opening Date: February 27, 2017
- Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
- Decision Timeframe: June 2017
- Intake Opening Date: June 26, 2017
- Application Deadline: July 7, 2017
- Decision Timeframe: October 2017
- Intake Opening Date: October 30, 2017
- Application Deadline: November 10, 2017
- Decision Timeframe: February 2018
Please be advised that a production company (and associated producer(s) and/or co-producer(s)) is limited to one application per intake round. Applications will be reviewed by NOHFC staff for completeness and eligibility. Incomplete applications will not be accepted, please ensure that all of the required materials listed on the application form are included in the submission. Applications received before the intake opening date or after the application deadline will not be accepted.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Economic benefit to Northern Ontario.
- Projected expenditures in Northern Ontario.
- Employment potential in Northern Ontario, including training opportunities for Northern Ontario crew members.
- Track record of the producer, director and key creative team.
- Feasibility of the project with respect to budget, financing, schedule and scope.
- The marquee value of the budgeted cast.
- The marketing plan and the distributor’s capacity and commitment to the project and track record of success.
The Northern Business Opportunity Program supports the vision of the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario by encouraging business productivity and expansion, and global investment in northern communities.
Production companies and their projects must meet these minimum conditions to qualify for NOHFC funding:
- The production company must be a Canadian corporation which is Canadian controlled.
- The production company must own all of the rights necessary to exploit and produce the production.
- Projects with a total budget of less than $1 million must be produced by an Ontario resident.
- Any one producer or co-producer is limited to one application per intake round.
- Applicants must provide evidence of the availability of all other project financing with terms and conditions satisfactory to the NOHFC, at the time of application.
- The project must have secured a written commitment letter from a qualified and experienced distributor or broadcaster, satisfactory to the NOHFC, at the time of application.
- Applicants must be in good standing with the NOHFC. Applicants or any owners, promoters or principals of a related company that are in default on any contractual obligations to the NOHFC are not eligible.
- Priority will be given to applicants who have experience as producers of commercial film and/or television projects or related experience satisfactory to the NOHFC. This includes demonstrating that they have the necessary expertise and resources to complete the proposed production and arrange for its marketing. Applicants with insufficient experience in development or production for the project genre and scope must secure the participation of an experienced executive producer prior to application to NOHFC.
- Applicants must be the owner or co-owner of the project, control copyright and receive, subject to commitments to third-party investors, talent and deferring parties, a share of revenues from sales of the project.
- Applicants must receive a producer credit on the project.
The following is a list of eligible projects:
- theatrical feature films
- made-for-television movies
- television drama series
Productions must meet appropriate quality-acceptance standards for broadcast and distribution. Pornography, sports events, news, games, industrial programs, reality programs and commercials are not eligible. The NOHFC will not fund productions that contravene the Criminal Code of Canada or any other criminal or civic prohibition. Productions containing excessive violence, sexual violence, sexual or racial stereotyping or exploitation are not eligible. The NOHFC reserves the right to apply its final judgment in this regard.
Project costs that are eligible for NOHFC funding include all costs of the production that are spent in Northern Ontario, including labour costs for Northern Ontario trainees under the Trainee Provision. Eligible costs include production goods and services and post-production costs.
The following costs are ineligible for NOHFC support:
- producer fees
- non-labour costs spent outside of Northern Ontario
- brokerage of production and/or post-production goods and services from outside of Northern Ontario by intermediaries
NOHFC provides assistance in the form of a conditional grant up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $500,000. NOHFC funding is based on the project’s level of spending in Northern Ontario and on employment and training opportunities for Northern Ontario residents.
Applications are assessed against the following criteria:
- economic benefit to Northern Ontario
- projected expenditures in Northern Ontario
- employment potential in Northern Ontario, including training opportunities for Northern Ontario crew members
- track record of the producer, director and key creative team
- feasibility of the project with respect to budget, financing, schedule and scope
- the marquee value of the budgeted cast
- the credibility of the marketing plan and the distributor’s capacity and commitment to the project and track record of success
Not all projects meeting the program criteria outlined above will receive funding. Applications will be accepted under this program until March 31, 2019. This is subject to change without any prior notice.
How to Apply
Send completed application forms to:
Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation
70 Foster Drive, Suite 200
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
For more information call our toll free line 1-800-461-8329.
Please only send us your application documents as attachments in emails to email@example.com (you may need to divide them in smaller batches depending on the file sizes). Because of our internal email security settings, we are unable to receive emails with Dropbox links.